Elementary Math Curriculum
Mathematics is at the heart of 21st century skills, and elementary math instruction lays the foundation for college and career readiness. Our mathematics program is aligned to the Illinois Learning Standards Incorporating the Common Core. All elementary students are expected to develop appropriate expertise in the Standards for Mathematical Practice, which are included in the Common Core standards and are rooted in research on mathematical proficiency. The Standards for Mathematical Practice include:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.