Culver Update - 6/5/20
Dear Culver Families ~
Here is the latest information about year end activities, e-Learning Program, meal distribution program, and other important topics.
Governor Pritzker announced that all schools will be closed for in-person learning for the rest of the 2019-2020 academic school year. At this time we await guidance from the Illinois governor’s office concerning a return to in-person school in the fall. We are already preparing plans for in-person learning, remote learning, and a hybrid approach consistent with Illinois Phase 4 reopening guidelines. We will email regular updates to the community about plans for the upcoming school year as we receive additional information.
We are very interested in your feedback on our e-Learning program and potential return to in-person learning. Please be on the lookout for a parent survey on these topics early next week.
End-of-Year Material & Medication Pick-up
We know that many students have materials and medication at Culver. Families will be able to collect belongings from lockers and classrooms at the end of the school year, on June 5, June 8, and June 9. In an emergency or if you are moving, please contact the office, and we will make arrangements for returning the materials. All families in Pre-K through 8th grade should have received an email from PTC Wizard with your scheduled time to come in on June 5th, June 8th or June 9th. The time scheduled will be for a 15 minute timeframe for all students in the family to pick up and drop off school items.
More email reminders from PTC Wizard will be sent next week and as we approach the dates. If you do not receive emails from PTC Wizard, please contact Mr. Suarez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Electronic devices for all current kindergarten through eighth grade students will be collected at the beginning of August.
Please carefully review the following guidelines for safe pick up/drop off of student items:
- All parents and students entering the building must wear a mask.
- Only four families will be allowed in the building at the same time to pick up items. This allows families to safely move about the building.
- Students must come to the building with a parent; no student will be allowed in the building without an accompanying adult.
- Each family will have a 15 minute time frame to pick up student items from lockers and classrooms.
- Please enter/exit through the designated door for each grade level. If you have multiple students, please go by the grade level of your oldest student.
- Door 1: K, 6, 7, 8 (Main entrance)
- Door 3: Pre-School, 1st, 2nd (K-2 entrance)
- Door 4: 3rd, 4th, and 5th. (Bus drop off door, across from the field)
- Access to the building will be on a 1- in, 1- out process at each door. Please exit through the same door you entered.
- Medication will be available for pick up outside of door 4.
- Please label classroom books and library books with a note stating your child’s name and homeroom teacher, prior to drop off.
- Summer reading books for incoming grade 5-8 students will be available for pick up outside the gym, in the foyer. Students should be selecting their summer reading titles this week, as ELA teachers have emailed all students.
- Remaining e-caring packages will be available for pick-up on the days that your family is scheduled to come to school to pick-up materials.
4th Quarter Report Cards
You will be able to view your child's quarter four report card on Tuesday, June 9th - the same way you viewed the quarter three report card. In addition, students in grades 1 and 2 will receive narrative comment reports from the homeroom teacher sharing the student's learning progress.
Diverse Summer Reading List
Our staff LOVES to read, and we compiled a list of books you can enjoy this summer. Please see the document.
Culver is so happy to announce a remote summer program for all grades called Summer Splash. Students can register for art, book club, coding, or summer science. Mr. Hirsch hosts The Morning Show, a special, fun time for students to gather before their Summer Splash courses. Please see the document for registration details.
We will contact families when our 2019-20 yearbooks are available.
Contacting the School Directly
At this time, the Culver office remains closed and the best way to reach staff is through email. We updated our phone system so that you may reach office staff directly during regular school hours. Please call us at 847 966-9280 and dial “1” using the auto attendant to talk directly to office staff.
We anticipate that the school office will reopen to our regular summer schedule on Tuesday, July 7, 2020.
Through summer, District 219 meals will be distributed from the high school each Monday and Wednesday at Niles West Location Door 13.
Culver will continue to distribute weekly meal bags, each Wednesday, from 12:30-1:30. Starting next week, we will serve meal bags from the door near Ms. Lurie’s classroom, in the west lot, closest to the baseball field.
Meals are not limited to students receiving free and reduced lunches, and there is no income verification process. The weekly bags are quite heavy, as they contain lots of food.
The Niles Township Food Pantry is also distributing food boxes. You can find Information about dates, times, and items offered by clicking here. You can also sign up to receive weekly information from the Food Pantry by email by subscribing on the website.
We wish you a wonderful summer break. This will be our last weekly correspondence for this school year. We are thankful for our supportive Culver community, helping each other through this unprecedented school year. Sending you all healthy, happy thoughts.
Please let us know if we can provide any additional support to your family. We are all in this together!
Culver Administration Team