Emergency Closing Information
EMERGENCY SCHOOL CLOSINGS
Our District understands that the decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a big effect on families. We also understand that our students are better served, both academically and socially, by being in school whenever possible. The safety of our students and staff is our top priority in making a decision to keep schools open or close schools in bad weather.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISION?
Please understand that we make the decision to open or close the schools in bad weather based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
- Information on road conditions from the communities within Niles Township and from our buildings and grounds department.
- Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
- Whether snow/ice is continuing.
- Building Conditions (such as whether we have electricity and heat).
- Parking lot conditions. Administrators talk to maintenance and custodial staff members who are responsible for clearing and treating school parking lots and sidewalks.
- Temperature and wind chill.
- Weather predictions. We prefer not making our decision based on weather predictions, which are not always accurate. However, sometimes this is unavoidable.
- What other school districts are doing. We make our decision in cooperation with the 9 Niles Township elementary districts and Niles Township High School.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
The Superintendent of Schools or designee makes the final decision, based on the above factors.
There are several ways to find out if school is closed (or open on what seems like a bad weather day.)
- Listen for your automated phone messaging call between 5:30 AM and 6:15 AM
- Visit the D71 Website: www.niles71.org where the information will be posted on the home page.
- Check your e-mail (make sure that the District has your current e-mail address)
- Visit Emergency Closing Center
- Tune into CBS, NBC, ABC, WGN, Fox, CLTV
- Listen to local radio: WGN (720 AM), WBBM (780 AM, and WLS (94.7 FM)
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
Usually, the decision to close school is made by 6:00 A.M. or earlier. Notification will be posted on our website and Emergency Closing website as soon as the decision has been made. Our goal is to start our automated phone messaging service calls between 5:45 AM and 6:15 AM
WILL WE CLOSE SCHOOL IF CONDITIONS WORSEN?
Keep in mind that, even if weather conditions worsen, we cannot reverse our decision in the morning without endangering students. Once we make the decision to open the schools, many parents rely on it and leave for work.
INFORMATION ABOUT OUR AUTOMATED PHONE MESSAGING SERVICE
PowerSchool is our automated phone messaging system. It is used in place of traditional "phone trees" to notify parents and staff of school closings, power outages, and other significant events. Everyone will receive the same recorded message within minutes. To receive a message, you need only answer your telephone or cell phone, or have an answering machine or voicemail to record your incoming message. Calls will automatically be sent to the phone numbers you have previously provided the school. Please be sure that we have all of your updated home and cell phone numbers and email addresses.
A PARENT'S DECISION
Although the District does its best to make the decision that is best for everyone, we know that often no perfect decision exists. If you do not feel it is safe for your child to attend school, we respect your right to keep your child at home. If you have any questions, please contact Dr. John Kosirog at (847) 966-9280 or email@example.com.